Wild Leeks

🌿

"Leek" of the woods

I recently went🍄Morel mushroom hunting with my neighbor, and though we did not find any Morels, we collected a bounty of wild leeks (aka ramps) that grow in the woods by my house. After harvesting from many small patches, we accumulated a bag full of delicious leeks.
I try to only harvest plants with at least 1 1/2' wide leaves and more plants in the immediate area.
Once you properly identify the plant, it is easy to harvest. Using a shovel, stick, or your hands, carefully dig around the base(bulb) of the plant until it lifts out without snapping.
If leeks grow anywhere near you, I would suggest trying to find some before they wither away and go dormant for the rest of the year. They taste similar to a green onion and are delicious raw or cooked.
For some delicious wild leek fritters with dandelion flowers, check out my sister's recipe.
Green onions work fine if you don't have any wild leeks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mulching our garden

Our Squash

Our Red and Black Raspberries